Friday, January 26, 2007

AUSTRALIAN OPEN TENNIS ...... WOMEN'S FINAL



Maria -Serena, dream final for the sponsors and organisers, hopefully for the viewers too.


Last time these two met was, in the semis here two years ago, where Williams prevailed, 8-6 in the decider. Sharapova served for the match in both the second and third sets. Something similar would be fantastic.


These are two great champions and it could be just as close this time round, Williams is not overly concerned about her opponent, thinking that if she plays well, it will be enough, regardless of what Sharapova does.


From yesterdays interview ....
SERENA WILLIAMS: Like I've always said, I think if I play well, if I play my game, do what I can do, it's hard for anyone to beat me. I got to make sure I'm playing well. Sometimes I have a tendency to shank a few balls, to miss‑hit, not be on. If I'm on, it's tough.

"I think my stamina, my mental ability, my sheer desire. I played a couple good matches, but I definitely haven't peaked. Like I always say, I got to wait till I get to the finals to peak hopefully. Hopefully that's what I'm doing."


All credit to the American, she has not had things easy and found a way to beat Petrova, Jankovic, Peer and Vaidisova, en route to the final.


Maria has not lost a set since the opening round, when she struggled in the heat and was close to going out. However, she has been giving chances on her serve, despite beating Clijsters 4 &2, her opponent won the break point count 12-8 !


I think this will go all the way, feel that Williams is overpriced ( 3.05 +), but my bet will be on a third set. Pinnacle offer over 2.5 sets @2.24, nearer the start, a combined bet on both to win


2-1 in sets, on the exchanges, will pay a little higher, even allowing for commission.



I looked at the serve stats, Serena has a bigger serve ( 125mph- 118 mph) and is averaging about 3 aces per match more, which is why Sharapova is quoted at 2.68. However, few players ace the tall, broad shouldered Russian, who has a huge wingspan and can get a racquet to most balls, in her last 12 grand slam matches, no one has aced her more than twice, so beware!

4 points Williams-Sharapova over 2.5 sets 2.24 pinnacle.



Good Luck.

No comments: